Since none of us moms are going to a spa or nice restaurant for Mother’s Day this year, bring that spa-like healthy and delicious food to your home/someone you love! This full menu of recipes from Registered Dietitian, Personal Trainer and Westport Mom, Robin Barrie Kaiden, is not only delicious, but SO healthy too! Don’t see Mom’s faves here? Head over to Robin’s website or Instagram (@robinbarrie) for many more recipes and ideas!
BREAKFAST – #ROBINBARRIEAPPROVED PANCAKE RECIPE
Instead of a pre-made mix, try this recipe that’s #glutenfree #dairyfree #refinedsugarfree #highprotein and more delicious!
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Urban remedy banana brittle as topping (optional)
- Organic blueberries
- Beat egg in a bowl and mix in the rest of the wet ingredients
- Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl, then add to egg mixture
- Spray pan or griddle with non-stick spray
- Add about ¼ cup batter to heated cooking surface. Allow to cook until edges set and pancake begins to bubble
- Flip and cook about 1.5-2 minutes
- Serve with berries, bananas, maple syrup and top optional urban remedy banana brittle
LUNCH – TUNA LETTUCE BOATS
You must try this simple #mayofree #tunasalad served in romaine #lettuceboats ! With all the veggies added, this dish is full of #fiber and crunch. I love @safecatchfoods tuna for #leanprotein because it’s the lowest in mercury. The lemon provides flavor and #antioxidant #VitaminC and the #oliveoil is a #healthyfat that’s great for skin this time of year! Enjoy this for a healthy meal or snack!
- 5 oz olive oil packed tuna
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1/2 small yellow squash, finely chopped
- 1/2 finely chopped scallion
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1 tbsp of Extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 long hot red pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the tuna in a small mixing bowl. Use a fork to break the tuna chunks into very small pieces.
- Add the dill, carrot, scallion,squash, red pepper and lemon juice to the bowl. Stir all the ingredients together until well mixed.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to moisten the tuna to your liking. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve on romaine lettuce or your favorite piece of toast. 1-2 servings depending on your appetite!
DINNER – ZUCHINNI BOATS
I made up this #robinbarrieapproved recipe after my husband loved a similar dish at a local Westchester, NY market. I changed up the ingredients, and it has been a true staple in my house, and loved by friends, neighbors, family, and followers alike! It is high in fiber while being delicious and satisfying. The ultimate healthy meal.
- 3 zucchini, ends removed, sliced lengthwise, and inside seeds scooped out
- 1 pound ground chicken meat (you can use lean ground beef or lean turkey, but I prefer chicken)
- ½ package (or at least one cup) frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves (or 1 cup frozen spinach)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil or cooking spray (to coat pan and baking tray)
- 3/4 cup Rao’s marinara or Otamot sauce (or other red sauce you like)
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated/shredded Parmesan cheese
- Red chili flakes, salt, and pepper to taste (as desired)
(You can also add chopped peppers, mushroom, or any other desired vegetables!)
Recipe: (***Preheat oven to 400 degrees)
- Sauté chopped onion over medium heat in a coated pan (olive oil or cooking spray) until onions appear clear and start to brown.
- Add spinach, cauliflower rice (and other vegetables if desired) and stir until it cooks down.
- Add ground chicken to pan. Continue to stir until meat is mostly cooked. (It’s preferred that It is more under versus overcooked at this point, as it will have time to cook more in the oven later.)
- Add marinara sauce to chicken and vegetables.
- Place zucchini boats on an oiled baking tray (olive oil or cooking spray) and begin to fill with chicken mixture.
- Cook filled boats for about 40 minutes.
- At about 35 minutes remove from oven and add sprinkled cheese
DESSERT – #ROBINBARRIEAPPROVED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
One of our favorite treats that are gluten free, refined sugar free, dairy free and still delicious! I love knowing they are truly enjoying a treat that is also healthy. Give this one a try and let me know what your family thinks.
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/3 cup cashew butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill finely ground almond flour.)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet morsels. I prefer darker, but the kids like sweeter!)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (I like to use Pink Himalayan salt.)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whisk egg in a large bowl. Add in maple syrup, melted coconut oil, cashew butter, vanilla, and almond milk. Whisk again.
- Add in: almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, most of the sea salt (save some to add to top of cookies)
- Add in chocolate chips.
- Place parchment paper over a baking sheet and use a spoon and/or spatula to drop batter, dividing it into a dozen cookies. Sprinkle remaining salt on top.
- Place in the oven for about 12 minutes on the center rack. Then turn the oven on broil and cook 1- 1 1/2 additional minutes. **Keep a close eye on it because they can burn quickly!
ENJOY AND SHARE!!!
For more amazing recipes from Robin, follow her on Instagram @robinbarrie