Yep, it’s that time of year again: January when everyone wants to crash diet to drop the extra pounds gained over the holiday season. In the case of 2022, perhaps you’re looking to rid all the extra Covid weight. Instead of following the latest fad, try incorporating a couple new simple healthy recipes into your week. The Eggplant Parmesan and Penne a la Vodka recipes are lighter versions of old favorites. They can both be made with regular cheese or a vegan, non-dairy substitute. Salmon is a perfect light, but nutrient-dense resolution-worthy dinner.
Give these a try, let me know what you think, and tag me @Robinbarrie! Check out my website for more easy and printable healthy recipes www.robinbarrie.com. My contact information is there if you would like personal Nutrition counseling to meet you or your kids nutrition goals! Enjoy!!
Who loves Eggplant Parmesan? This version is super simple to make at home and lighter, of course, since it isn’t fried or heavy on the breadcrumbs. Eggplant is high in antioxidants, low in calories (20 calories) and carbs (5 grams) and high in fiber (3 grams). These are the amount in one cup of eggplant. With a bit of chickpea breadcrumbs, a small amount of cheese and fresh herbs, this is a dish you family and friends will all LOVE! Give it a try and let me know what you think! Don’t forget to post and tag me in your creations
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 tablespoons of @raoshomemade tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons of watusee chickpea breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/3 of a cup of fresh basil, parsley and oregano,chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Slice eggplant horizontally. Make a X cuts into the flesh of eggplant. Be careful not to cut down to the skin of the eggplant.
- Brush olive on the flesh of the eggplant. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Put parchment paper on a baking sheet. Place eggplant flesh side DOWN (very important). Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes. Eggplant should be soft to touch.
- Take eggplant out of the oven and spoon over tomato sauce evenly. Sprinkle with Parmesan and mozzarella and then the watusee bread crumbs. Place back into the oven and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. Turn to broil for the last 1-2 minutes until browned.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve!
The simple marinade recipe brings out the flavor of this anti-inflammatory fish that’s high in Omega3s. It is also a good source of B vitamins (including B12), potassium, and selenium. Asparagus is high in fiber and a good source of folate and Vitamins C, E, K and B6, and the minerals calcium and phosphorus. It has anti-inflammatory and natural diuretic properties. Enjoy this balanced meal for two!
- 3 wild salmon filets
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp light olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 lemon slices
- Place salmon in a baking dish. Pour marinade over salmon. Let sit covered in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 min or until just cooked through and flaky. I turn the oven on boil for the last two minutes to get a nice brown crust on the top of the filet.
- Top with extra chopped fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice if desired. Enjoy! -This is a great recipe to put on the grill.
An easy, healthy one to try: Penne a la Vodka! This is a #glutenfree #dairyfree#hearthealthy version too. I love @tolerantfoods #greenlentil#redlentil or #chickpea pastas: they are amazing with single ingredients. #Legumes can help lower bad cholesterol AND this dish is free of cream (high in saturated fat, in traditional vodka sauce) since I use @kitehillfoods ricotta cheese. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 1 box of @tolerantfoodspenne pasta
- 1/2 jar of @raoshomemade tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons of @kitehillfoods ricotta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup @followyourheart Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the @raoshomemade tomato sauce and @kitehillfoods ricotta cheese. Add more or less @kitehillfoodsdepending on how creamy you want your sauce.
- After cooking for about 3-4 minutes, turn heat to low. Add in the @followyourheart Parmesan cheese. Stir.
- Add the @tolerantfoods cooked pasta to the skillet.
- Season with additional salt, red pepper flakes and additional @followyourheart Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
For more recipes from Robin, check out https://robinbarrie.com/recipes/