As summer has continued along, and we continue to search for creative ways to keep our children entertained- and to show them the world, the world around us has gotten exceptionally creative! See below for some amazing ways to “travel” the world and have some fun from the comforts – and safety of your own home!
In the midst of a global pandemic, people crave vacations more than ever, but when it’s not even safe to shop in a crowded store or go a party at a friend’s house, getting away to a far-off locale is out of the question. Society has seen a massive shift toward doing everything online: Families are celebrating birthdays and holidays through online meetups, and more and more people are working and shopping from their homes. However, you don’t have to completely give up exploring new places. Just as many other aspects of life have moved online, you can also travel online, taking virtual tours or watching webcams of destinations all over the world. Whether you want to visit a national park or see sharks at an aquarium, digital alternatives exist to help you do it.
- BrightFarms Indoor Farming Virtual Field Trip: Learn all about indoor farming and how food goes from seeds to grocery stores.
- Canadian Farm and Food Tours: Take multiple farm tours and learn about chickens, apple orchards, dairy farms, and more.
- Virtual Egg Farm Field Trips: Watch videos tailored to different age groups that provide a look behind the scenes of egg farms across the country.
- Tour a Sawmill: See how trees become lumber in this sawmill tour.
Zoos and Aquariums
- San Diego Zoo Animal Cams: Explore the San Diego Zoo’s vast collection of animal cams to see creatures from apes to tigers.
- Seattle Aquarium Video Field Trip: Walk through the Seattle Aquarium with this field trip video.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Jelly Cam: Sit back and relax as you watch jellyfish swimming at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- Georgia Aquarium Ocean Voyager: See inside one of the world’s largest aquatic exhibits at the Georgia Aquarium.
Animals in the Wild
- African Bush Webcams: Go on a safari without leaving the house with these live cams of African wildlife.
- All About Birds: Bird Cams: See a variety of types of birds all over the world, from ospreys in Georgia to condors in California to albatross in New Zealand.
- National Museum of Natural History: Take tours of current and past exhibits, some of which are narrated.
- The Met: Get a 360-degree view of galleries at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Musée d’Orsay: Take a walk through exhibits of famous artwork at the Musée d’Orsay in Paris.
- The Louvre: Explore a world-famous museum through online tours of the exhibits at the Louvre.
American History and Culture
- National Baseball Hall of Fame: Take yourself out to the ballgame while staying socially distant by exploring the online exhibits here.
- National Constitution Center: Explore the National Constitution Center’s exhibits on the Civil War, the rise and fall of Alexander Hamilton, and more.
- Mount Rushmore: See the presidents on this monument up close from many different angles and vantage points.
- White House: Take a White House tour narrated by former President Barack Obama.
- Tour a Fire Department and its Equipment: See what a day in the life of a firefighter is like by touring a fire station.
- National Museum of the United States Air Force: Visit the national air force museum to learn about this important part of America’s military.
- Statue of Liberty: See the Statue of Liberty without having to take a ferry.
- The Liberty Bell: Walk around the Liberty Bell and explore its history with a virtual tour of the Liberty Bell Center in Philadelphia.
- Mount Vernon: Tour George Washington’s historic home.
- Empire State Building: Look at the Empire State Building or take in the view from its observation deck online.
Out of This World
- Access Mars: Scratch the surface of space travel by exploring the surface of Mars with the Curiosity rover.
- Johnson Space Center Virtual Field Trip: Learn about space travel in the past, present, and future by visiting the Johnson Space Center in Houston.
Around the World
- Buckingham Palace: Take a virtual tour of Buckingham Palace from the comfort of your couch.
- Visit the Anne Frank House Online: Walk through the house where Anne Frank and her family hid during World War II.
- Walk the Great Wall of China: Take a virtual tour of the Great Wall of China.
- Son Doong Cave: Explore the largest cave in the world, found in Vietnam. It’s so massive that there’s actually a jungle inside!
- Discover Ancient Egypt: Tour the Egyptian temples and pyramids through virtual re-creations.
- The Roman Colosseum: Use Google Maps to take a self-guided tour around the Colosseum.
- The Vatican: Walk through the Vatican while reading about its history.
- Yellowstone Virtual Tours: Stroll through Yellowstone National Park and check out its many famous features.
- Great Lakes Virtual Field Trip: Tour the Great Lakes to learn about the importance of wetlands to the environment.
- Carlsbad Caverns: Go down into the Carlsbad Caverns and you might meet some bats.
- Death Valley Tour in 360 Degrees: Explore the most famous spots in this national park without the dangers of its scorching heat.
- Florida Beach-Finder: Choose the features that make up your ideal beach, then pick a beach to explore it virtually.
- Virtual Yosemite: View the stunning scenery of Yosemite National Park from many points around the park, including spots you might not be able to climb to yourself.
- Virtual Trip to the Bahamas: Take in some of the most famous sights of the Bahamas, from secluded beaches to swimming pigs to an underwater shipwreck.
- Glacier National Park Webcams: Stay warm while touring Glacier National Park.
Find more about the author: Kim Hart