Massaged Kale and Mango Salad with Grilled Chicken
With Summer in full swing, it’s so nice to enjoy a meal from the grill that includes the amazing sweet fruit of the season. Add in a couple of superfoods that can help naturally detox against those extra summer cocktails and ice cream, and you have this perfect dish!!
- Avocado: contains glutathione, a compound that blocks fat absorption and helps in cleansing the liver. It’s also high in fiber to improve digestion.
- Kale: binds to bile acids to get rid of them and eliminate from the body, thus lowering cholesterol levels.
- Lemon: detoxes the liver, aids in digestion (increased saliva with its sight, smell, flavor), and stimulates pancreatic juice for digestion.
- 1 bunch of kale (black , also called Lacinato, works great): remove stalks, and chop leaves thin
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup olive oil, with extra for drizzling
- Himalayan pink salt
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup mango diced
- 2 heaping tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 grilled chicken breasts
- 1/2 avocado diced
- In a large bowl, add kale, half of lemon juice, a drizzle of oil and a little salt. Massage with hands (or add these ingredients to Ziploc bag and massage in bag) until the kale starts to soften up. This takes about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside while you make dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining lemon juice with maple syrup and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper (to your taste). Stream in the 1/4 cup of oil while whisking until dressing is well mixed. Add the dressing to the kale, and toss thoroughly.
- Add the mango, pumpkins seeds, chicken breast, and avocado.
- Toss again, serve, and ENJOY!
This recipe serves 2-3 people depending on your appetite!