WestportMoms.com has the answer to your summer swimsuit dilemma….WALA SWIM! In advance of peak swimsuit season, we’ve teamed up with Wala swim – which offers a curated collection of the optimal swimsuits for all body typess – to share tips, tricks, and some recommendations with us!
Oh and here’s some exciting news – they’re offering our followers 25% off all purchases now through August, using code CTMOMS25.
Here’s our don’t miss Q&A up close and personal with Wala Founder and mom, Jen Resnick:
- What does the name Wala means? The name Wala comes from the mythical Australian sun goddess, famous for her radiant beauty.
- Why did you decide to focus on swimsuits? I grew up in a retail family business on Long Island and have been surrounded by the swimwear industry for as long as I can remember. Swimwear is a daunting purchase for most women and there is a void in the online marketplace for trusted resources that help ease the difficulty of shopping in this category. I understand the challenges women face, regardless of body type, when shopping for swimwear and I’ve always had a passion for sourcing quality fit-focused brands that will cater to women in all stages of life.
- What are the most common bathing suit mistakes you see? Women often buy bathing suits too big or fail to seek out suits with the correct support and hold to best flatter their figures. It’s also common that women don’t properly tighten straps or pull up the suit properly on the sides and back when trying it on!
- What are this season’s top trends? Updated/sexy one-piece suits, off-the-shoulder styles, lace-up silhouettes and sporty-chic athletic styles have all been very on-trend this season
- What suit(s) are you wearing this summer and why? I recently had a baby so I’ll be living in our Ruching & Slimming styles this summer. My favorites include the Karla Colletto Ruched Bandeau and Karla Colletto Ruched Fresco Fringe Tank as well as the Maryan Mehlhorn Elements Ruched Bandeau and Togs Ombre Twist Bandeau. These styles have great top support and really help slim the tummy and provide the extra coverage I’m currently craving. I’m also a huge personal fan of our Not Your Mother’s One Piece Collection. My number one pick this season is the Intuition cut-off cross front one piece in black. The perfect amount of tummy coverage but cut out sides still make it sexy.
- What does a suit have to have in order to make the Wala cut? To make the cut, the suit must have something special about the design, cut or fabrication which provides enhanced fit. We look for features such as an underwire for full-bust support or a bump pad for a little extra oomph. tummy control of soft side shirring and of course great add-on features like adjustable straps, removable straps or other aspects that create flexibility and additional ways to cater to a variety of body types.
- What are the top three things someone should look for when suit shopping? Think about top, middle, bottom….Look for a style that enhances your best assets and don’t put too much emphasis on overcompensating for the areas you don’t like as sometimes, less is more and too much fabric can add bulk when you’re trying to do just the opposite! Make sure to get the proper top support to lift and flatter your bust line and use hardware, back interest or other details to attract attention toward your best features. And don’t forget about coverups! The best way to switch up your look during a trip and take your suit from beach to street!
- Bikini or one-piece? And why? Well – personal style and comfort has a lot to do with the decision and always look for a style that accentuates your best assets. A bikini or tankini is a great option if your needs (style or size) are different on top and bottom as we offer mix and match separates to do just that – but one piece suits have come a long way and many times, they can be sexier than a two piece. The key is finding a style that enhances your natural shape and elongates your figure.
To start shopping, visit Walaswim.com, and follow them on Instagram @walaswim