A&S Fine Foods in Westport is not only known for their delicious sandwiches and prepared foods (homemade meatballs and lasagna to die for!), but they also make (and cater) mouth watering BBQ! To kick Memorial Day weekend off right, here are Chef Al’s top 5 tips to make your grilling this season an easy and pleasant experience:
- Start with the best cut of meats you can. USDA Prime cuts or Certified Black Angus Steaks are best. Choice cuts will do and are less expensive.
- Prep your meats- remove steaks from your refrigerator 20min before cooking to bring them to room temp. Cold steaks cook unevenly.
- Preheat your grill- give your grill time to hit at least 500 degrees.
- Let them sit- You want your meats to get nice sear marks on them before attempting to flip them. Flipping them too early will cause your meat to stick to the grill.
- Temperatures and Doneness- A rare steak will feel spongy, a medium steak will bounce back slightly, and a well done steak will feel firm. Remember to not over cook your steak; after you pull it off the grill, let it rest a few minutes as the steak will continue to cook after you take it off.
A&S Fine Foods of Westport
Important Memorial Day specials for Westport Moms:
- A&S is offering prime New York strip steaks and prime rib eye steaks. Mention WestportMoms and get these for $18.99 per pound (50% off the normal price). Prime is the top 6 % of beef; you don’t get any better than that!
- All of their sausage is from Vincent’s meat market on Arthur Avenue and will be $4.99 per pound for the Memorial Day holiday
- Burgers will also be $4.99 per pound
- A&S will be open all weekend Saturday 9am-5pm, Sunday 9am-230pm, and Monday 9am-230pm while supplies last.