HEALTHY SUMMER DESSERTS
Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding
1 pound sweet potatoes
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 TBS pure maple syrup
2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
2 TBS unsalted, unsweetened almond butter
½ tsp instant decaf coffee powder
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp fine-grain sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Using a fork, poke holes in the sweet potato and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour, until very tender. You can do this in your toaster oven.
- When cool enough to handle, remove the skin, place in a food processor or high-speed blender with all the remaining ingredients, and process until smooth. A Vitamix will work best. Serve at room temp or chill until cold.
Peach and Blueberry Crisp
6 medium peaches, pitted and sliced, about 4-5 cups
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
¾ cup coconut palm sugar
½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all fruit in an 8- or 9-inch baking dish or pie plate. Toss to mix them up a bit.
- Add all topping ingredients in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Blend until mixture resembles small peas. Squeeze with your hands to create small clumps.
- Arrange topping over fruit to cover.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until bubbly and topping is golden brown.
Strawberry-Cherry Frozen Yogurt Bark
1 ½ cups unsweetened whole milk Greek yogurt
3 TBS pure Grade A maple Syrup
¾ tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ cup strawberry preserves, or any flavor (look for no sugar added like St Dalfour)
1 cup diced fresh cherries (or 2 ripe bananas, diced)
½ cup chocolate chips, dark or semisweet
½ TBS unrefined virgin coconut oil
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine yogurt, syrup, and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Stir in strawberry reserves and diced cherries.
- Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet and spread it into a ½”-thick rectangle or oval. Make sure it’s not too thin.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a heat-proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the yogurt with a spoon. Put in the freezer and freeze until firm, about 2 hours. After the bark has hardened, break into pieces and store in a covered container in the freezer.