If you are looking for a delicious homemade LATKE recipe this season, look no further! But do get ready for your house to smell for days=) Happy cooking!
- 2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup matzo meal
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
- Peel and coarsely shred the potatoes on a box grater
- Peel and coarsely shred the onions on a box grater
- Melt and slightly cool the unsalted butter
- Chop the scallions
- In a colander set over a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the onion and squeeze dry.
- Let the potatoes and onion drain for 2 to 3 minutes, then pour off the liquid in the bowl, leaving the starchy paste at the bottom.
- Add the potatoes and onion, along with the eggs, scallions, matzo meal, butter, salt, pepper and baking powder; mix well.
- In a large skillet, heat an 1/8-inch layer of oil until shimmering.
- Spoon 1/4-cup mounds of the latke batter into the skillet about 2 inches apart and flatten slightly with a spatula.
- Fry the latkes over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the latkes to paper towels to drain, then transfer to a platter. Repeat to make the remaining latkes, adding more oil to the skillet as needed. Serve with applesauce and sour cream.
- The latkes can be fried early in the day; recrisp on a baking sheet in a 350° oven.