Westport Mom and Local Vet from bespoke Veterinary Services, Jessica Bhatia, shares a few tips to keep dogs protected from ticks this season!
A Few Tips to Keep your Dogs Protected:
- Make sure that your dog is on an adequate tick preventative, such as Nexgard, Simpirica or Bravecto. Nexgard and Simpirica are monthly oral preventatives, and Bravecto should be given every 3 months. There are many tick preventatives on the market. In my opinion, the oral vs. topical preventatives are best when there are young children in the home.
- Attempt to keep your dogs away from the woods, brush & bushes.
- Spray your yard against ticks.
- Have your dog vaccinated for Lyme Disease.
- Do nightly tick checks on everyone in the house-including your dog! Focus on areas close to the ground such as around their muzzle, ears and toes. Here are seven easy steps on how to remove a tick if needed: https://bespokevetservice.com/seven-easy-steps-removing-tick/
Dr. Jessica Melman Bhatia
Bespoke Veterinary Services