Cider braised short ribs with cranberries (Served with cauliflower puree) – If you are looking for a delicious – and relatively easy – holiday dinner that will please the family – or even a larger group, check out this hit from The Home Cook CT’s, Stephanie Berghoff! A Westport mom of two, Stephanie turned back to her love for all things food and cooking a year ago and cooks for families in the area weekly! For more information, follow her at @thehomecookct or email Stephanie anytime at email@example.com
- 5 pounds bone in, beef short ribs
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Vidalia (sweet) onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1-2 cups of apple cider
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- Cauliflower Puree
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large oven safe skillet, sear the ribs on both sides. Remove the ribs to a plate. Add the onions & garlic and cook 5-10 minutes or until the onions begin to caramelize. Add back the short ribs. Add the wine, broth, cider, tomato paste, brown sugar, thyme. Sprinkle over the cranberries. Season with salt and pepper, gently stir to combine. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours or until the short ribs are tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove short ribs and reduce the sauce on the stove top for 10-15 minutes until reduced by half.
- Serve the ribs with the cauliflower puree. Drizzle with sauce. Enjoy!
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 3 medium sized parsnips (skin on & cleaned)
- 2 tbl of olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbl of sugar
- 1 tbl of garlic powder
- ½ Cup of Chicken Stock
- Sauté cauliflower & parsnips with olive oil and season with salt & pepper & garlic powder.
- When the veggies are all sautéed, add in the chicken stock, sugar, salt & pepper. Cook veggies until very soft.
- Remove & drain the vegetables from the pan.
- Put Cauliflower & Parsnip into blender (make sure there is no extra liquid) and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
For more recipe ideas or information visit The Home Cook CT HERE! We love you Steph!