Sarah Rose is the founder of Rosebud Boxes, which provides the perfect children’s birthday party in a box. See below for more information on Sarah and Rosebud Boxes, but here is a favorite holiday craft of hers that is quick and easy to do with your kids, and looks gorgeous as a festive centrepiece or nightlight. You can get everything you need from Michael’s for less than $20.
So, to make this lovely little winter lantern, you will need:
- 1 x small plain glass jar (preferably with a lid)
- 1 x bottle of Mod Podge
- 1 x small pointed paintbrush
- 1 x medium paintbrush
- 1 x small tub of green glitter
- 1 x small tub of white glitter
- Salt or white sugar
- 1 x LED tea light
- Optional: brown twine with holiday craft buttons threaded through. White canvas.
Set aside 15 minutes of your time and let go of those feelings about glitter…we’re all covered in it at this time of year anyway! But I promise, you won’t get that messy.
- Start by preparing your workspace. I usually work on a white canvas as it’s easy to clean up afterwards, but a large piece of card will work just as well.
- Using your small pointed paintbrush, use the Mod Podge to paint tree shapes all the way round your glass jar. Leave a space of about 1cm at the bottom of the jar.
- Next, grab that tub of green glitter and get shaking! Spread a generous amount all over the gluey parts of the jar. You can also roll the jar in the glitter, but I find the overall effect is better if your pour it. Use your medium paintbrush to brush off any excess glitter. You should now have some trees!
- The next step is to cover the rest of the jar in Mod Podge (make sure you get right in between those trees) and then shake on that white glitter. Dust any excess from the trees. Leave to dry for 5 minutes.
- Now for the sugar or salt! Remove the lid of your jar if you haven’t already and fill her up to the bottom of the tree line. This will give the effect of snow on the ground. The final step is to place your LED candle inside.
And there you have it – a beautiful winter treescape! I like to thread some festive buttons through some twine and tie it round the top of the jar, but ribbon works just as well. My kids love to make these jars as they are so quick and easy, and the overall effect is perfect for this season. Happy holidays!
About Rosebud Boxes
Created by local mom Sarah Rose, Rosebud Boxes provide beautifully themed ‘parties in a box’ for children’s birthday parties and other fun events! Each wooden party box is available to hire and includes everything you need to throw a beautifully themed soiree, including decor, tableware, costumes, games, balloons and goody bags. There is even an Instax camera and photo props in each box to capture those special moments (and they make great additions to the goody bags!) And because we all know that the day of the party can be just a little bit stressful, Sarah will deliver it to your door and collect it all again after the guests have headed home. She can even stay and set everything up for you…what more could you need?! Visit www.rosebudboxes.com for more information and to shop the boxes. Prices start at $299.