Why choose Westport, CT to call home? As a Realtor of GULP many years, I have loved being a portal to this community for others and introducing them to all Westport has to offer. This is the town I chose to make my home and raise my children in, after having lived in six other wonderful cities on both coasts and in between. I have been such a promoter of Westport that months after I planted my own stakes here, my sister and her family moved here as well. Here are 6 great reasons to call Westport, Connecticut your home.
- THE COAST LINE! Being a coastal town with access to The Long Island Sound, as well as the Saugatuck River, residents can enjoy a lifestyle not available to inland locales. My kids and I had the luxury of a wonderful beach, replete with a 5 star playground, summer camp, skate park, Joey’s Restaurant and marina over the summers to enjoy. Between Compo Beach, Sherwood Island and Longshore with it’s tennis, golf, pool and marina … who needs to travel anywhere else?! Additionally (and this is not small aside for my family) The Saugatuck River is a tremendous asset to The Town of Westport, My daughter Sami cut her teeth at The Saugatuck Rowing Club as a coxswain and went on to win 3 division 1 NCAA college championships in rowing!
- THE WESTPORT SCHOOLS! The Westport public school system is first rate and Staples has even been ranked by Newsweek Magazine as one of the top high schools in the country! 5 elementary schools and 2 middle schools serve as excellent preparation for Staples High School. My older daughter graduated Staples in 2008, the year CT Magazine ranked it #1 high school in the state. She lived through its’ enormous renovation project, resulting in the amazing edifice with all of the many state of the art educational resources, that stands today. The teacher: student ratio, and the faculty’s attention to each pupil as individuals, all lend to very successful results in its graduates.
- THE DOWNTOWN! The Westport downtown, situated on the banks of the river, offers top notch shopping and dining options, all condensed on a couple of picturesque blocks. In addition to Main Street, Westport is really thriving in its recent retail developments in the Saugatuck and train station neighborhoods as well as the new Bedford Square on Church Street. The downtown Westport Library is a favorite place to hang for locals whether to attend one of the many wonderful lectures given by a celebrity or guest author or just to curl up and read a book in a cozy corner with a river view.
- ACCESSIBILTY! Both I-95 and The Merritt Parkway, as well as The Metro North train run through the town of Westport, making NYC and other destinations easily accessible for daily commuters or just taking in a show and dinner in “the city”.
- The ARTS! Between The Westport Country Playhouse, The Levitt Pavilion and the outstanding theater arts departments at Staples High School and the middle schools, there is always a play or concert to attend in Westport. Many Staples graduates, including my daughter Carleigh, have gone on to pursue careers in entertainment, having gotten their starts on Westport stages.
- REAL ESTATE! The town of Westport has been home to many famous entertainers like Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Nile Rogers and Michael Bolton to name a few, as well as several big corporations like Bridgewater Associates and Terex. The property taxes in Westport are more reasonable than many of the surrounding CT towns and almost always compares favorably to NY taxes. There are several different neighborhoods in the town with various price tags and different feels. Buying a home in Westport is a good investment and will hold a strong resale opportunity because of the all the aforementioned distinguishing attributes the town offers!
I hope you will think of me when you are ready to make your move. I view my job as more than one of just selling properties, but as being the gateway and using my considerable experience, knowledge, resources and connections to help you make Westport, CT your home!
Contact Hyleri Katzenberg: 203-246-8395 or [email protected]