Despite the warming tease we’ve had of late, we can all agree winter has been around for too long, and the dryness is likely wreaking havoc on your skin!
Don’t miss these recommendations from renowned makeup artist (a Fairfield County native and resident!), Emily Rosnick, who has shared her 5 tips for staying dewy and glowing all year long! Taking care of your skin is essential for good makeup application:
SKIN ALWAYS COMES FIRST!
Here are a few must-have tips:
- EXFOLIATE! Amping up your exfoliation in the winter is the best thing you can do for your skin. A few nights a week before bed, exfoliate your face. This is critical for breaking down dead skin cells, and reducing fine lines, wrinkles and pores. If done regularly, it can result in brighter and more vibrant skin. I rotate between a few different exfoliants, however Peter Thomas Roth has always been a personal favorite. After exfoliating, it is essential to hydrate your skin further by using a serum with Vitamin C.
- Before applying makeup, it is imperative to moisturize. In my 20 years of experience, the moisturizer I have found to be most beneficial is Nutura Bisse Esssential Shock cream. A little goes a long way.
- After moisturizing, it is essential to prime your face- as you would the walls in your house if you were painting them! I always go back to Smashbox photofinish oil free primer. It feels like velvet on your skin, and helps ensure your makeup stays on all day. If you don’t use primer, your makeup will not stay on half as long. Total game changer!
- After primer, use a Beauty Blender sponge (instead of a brush) to apply your foundation. It is important to wet the sponge first to ensure your makeup is applied evenly. You can buy the sponge on Amazon; it is an award winning tool.
- After foundation, I focus on color correcting to remove any darkness or redness on the skin, particularly under the eyes. To reduce the appearance of dark circles under the eyes, I recommend a really good eye cream, such as Neocutis Lumiere Bio-Restorative Eye Cream, also available on Amazon!
If you ever want a makeup lesson or need makeup done for a special occasion, you can email Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow her on Instagram @makeupbyemilyrosnick. (Trust us- you’ll learn a lot and be laughing the whole time=))