KATIE STURINO ; you are a legend!! If you know – and follow – Katie Sturino, you are psyched right now! If you don’t, you are welcome; she is a legend!!:) In addition to creating a safe, open, and beautiful space – for juicy discussions about boob sweat and leg chafing=), she has helped SO many women – teens, adults, and moms – learn about the importance of body acceptance and size inclusivity, as well as embracing who you are! As 2022 kicks off with many unprecedented challenges, we could all use some positive vibes and thinking right now, so we chatted with Katie, and as always, she didn’t disappoint!!
Can you tell us a little bit about your journey to getting to where you are today (your childhood (if relevant!), your own PR company, your dog, etc), and of course what you are primarily focused on these days?
- After college, I moved to New York City and started my career working as a publicist in the fashion and beauty industries. In my early twenties, I started an accessories PR firm and loved it! It was called Tinder PR before Tinder. I think managed my dogs (you may remember Toast) and my career has been a bit of a chameleon ever since
- In 2015, I launched my blog “The 12ish Style”, a platform originally created to share tips and tricks for finding cute styles for those who are a size 12 and above. It quickly grew into so much more. The response I received from women of all sizes was so inspiring. My success with The 12ish Style (now KatieSturino.com and @KatieSturino) gave me the confidence and the platform to launch another business, Megababe. Today I am focusing on Megababe by innovating new products and solutions that help women feel more confident in their bodies. We started by tackling thigh chafe with our hero product, Thigh Rescue.
We LOVE your brand Megababe, and the practicality of all of your products. Tell us about your decision to launch this brand, and maybe even your favorite product right now?
- I started Megababe out of necessity. I have had thigh chafe my entire life and there were no products on the market that worked, and that I enjoyed using. Everything was for men or athletes and had terrible names and branding- they just felt sub par! I wanted a clean, effective product that I wouldn’t be embarrassed to pull out of my handbag. Thigh chafe was the most obvious issue for me, but I knew there were other issues to solve for women, and that’s what Megababe is all about.
- One of my favorite Megababe products at the moment is the most recent addition to our growing collection of natural deodorants – the Geo Deo. It’s our first deodorant including baking soda as an ingredient, which contains odor-fighting benefits without the irritation that baking soda can cause
You wrote an amazing book called “Body Talk,” sharing a lot of your story, and your journey grappling with body acceptance and “fitting in.” What motivated you to finally share your story, how was the process of writing it, and how has reception to it been?
- The response I have received from The 12ish Style along with my Instagram series #SuperSizetheLook and #MakeMySize is what motivated me to write Body Talk. I realized that women of all ages and sizes struggle with body issues. I wanted to find a way to help women everywhere learn to love and accept their bodies. It has been incredible talking to women about the book. I love connecting with women and wanted to give them a tool to use on the body acceptance journey.
You are an amazingly relatable, inspiring and strong woman who has created a way for women to feel comfortable in whatever body they have been given. Any favorite anecdotes to share about getting to a place where you were ready to share your story and who has inspired YOU?
- Thank you! One of my favorite anecdotes is to always remember to put your confidence on first. My forever inspiration is “Little Katie” and how important it is for me to make her proud!
We love your #supersizethelook posts, showing what model outfits look like on normal people! So many of us with young kids – especially young girls – worry about the role social media plays/will play in our children’s lives, negatively influencing their views of their own body. Can you share any thoughts you have on the role social media can play on the unrealistic expectations teens and women have of who they are supposed to be? And any advice you may have?
- Growing up the only exposure I had to other people was TV – I loved Melrose Place, Gossip Girl, etc. All of these shows featured very thin actresses.
- I think nowadays there actually is a benefit with social media, where you can find so much more diversity – physically and in all categories. That’s something really special that I think the younger generation today has that we didn’t have.
- So you could lean into it in a damaging way, or you could say “whoa, I’ve found all of these people in this community that I look up to.”
When we enter a New Year, so many of us make resolutions about diet and exercise (for better or worse!). Do you have any advice for how women can learn to love their bodies and themselves more? We know it’s not an overnight process, but can you share any tips – or steps to begin the process – of seeing ourselves in a healthier, better way in hopes of living our lives more freely – and fully?
- Start by paying attention to what you say to yourself in the mirror and recognize those negative thoughts you’re having because being able to recognize those thoughts is half the battle.
What’s next for you and for Megababe?
- We’re going to continue to make products that are clean, cute, and effective solutions for problems that women typically don’t talk about. It’s the ethos of our brand and it’s what gets me going everyday! Watch out for our new launches in 2022. And on @KatieSturino, you’ll find me continuing to the message of body acceptance.
What do you do to relax and have fun these days? I’m currently staying in Palm Beach for the winter so I’ve been getting my granny on down in Florida. Recently I’ve been trying to cook a lot more and it’s been fun to experiment with new recipes. I’m also going to try to take up needlepointing while I’m here because I’ve always heard it’s such a nice and relaxing activity!
What is the best book and tv show you have recently read/binged? I just finished binging season 2 of Emily In Paris and absolutely loved it. And I’m currently reading Stanley Tucci’s new book, “Taste: My Life Through Food.”
What is one food you could not live without? Mint Chip ice cream!
What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you? I’ve always been a major germaphobe – I don’t like sharing beverages, food, etc! Kind of fitting we have our Squeaky Clean Hand Sanitizer and Wipes 🙂
If you could have lunch or drinks with someone famous, who would It be and why? Oprah.. because she’s Oprah!
QUICK THIS OR THAT?
At a movie: Candy or Popcorn? Popcorn
Cook or order in? Order in
Iced Coffee or Hot Coffee? Iced coffee
Beach or Mountains? Beach
Puzzle or Board Game? Puzzle
Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate
Reading or writing? Reading
Before bed: Social media or book/TV? Book/TV
Ketchup or mustard? Ketchup
Watch or play sports? Play sports
Stay in or go out? Stay in
Winter or summer? Summer
Comedy or Drama? Comedy
For more from Katie, follow her anytime HERE!