Objective: To engage students using STEM skills to find solutions to inquiries through hands-on investigation and discovery.
✓ Jelly beans
✓ Paper plates (w raised edge)
❖ Which liquid, water or vinegar, will dissolve the jelly bean colors faster?
❖ Do you think the jelly bean colors will dissolve at different rates?
What to Do:
- Invite students to arrange jelly beans in a color pattern around the edge of the paper plate.
- Choose one liquid. Pour the liquid slowly onto the center of the plate.
- Start timer.
- Observe as liquid disperses.
- Photograph as colors begin to dissolve.
- When colors meet in the center of paper plate, stop the timer. Record time.
- Repeat experiment step by step using second liquid.
- Note differences.
❖ What did you observe during the experiment? Refer to photos, if needed.
❖ Did one color of jelly bean dissolve faster than the others?
❖ Was your prediction correct?
❖ Did you like the experiment?
❖ What would you do differently if you could do the experiment again?
If Time Allows: Provide students with jelly beans and toothpicks to create sculptures.